Monday, April 8, 2013

Maybe I'm not quite as right-wing as I thought...

What a way to start out my blog that focuses on Politics, by  admitting that I might not actually be as far to the right as even *I* thought I was. However, it is a good starting place, because if you follow me further here you will see that I am a conservative, Catholic, passionately political, outspoken American citizen.

A story came out in the last few days that has exploded into postings by religious and conservative bloggers that has taken me a bit by surprise.
Here is the link to where it all started: The Archdiocese for the Military Services (AMS)


Well it didn't all start there. It started with an Army Reserve Unit putting a statement in a training slide that equated Catholics and Evangelicals as "extremists" right up there with Hamas etc.

I posted a link telling the story on my Facebook, after reading what was going on, with no commentary. Within a few hours and into the next couple of days there were a lot of such stories by bloggers and news agencies (mostly conservative) with titles such as "Defense Department classifies Catholics, evangelicals as extremists".

Now don't get me wrong, the fact that this statement was in any document associated with the military is disturbing, but let's not get too overboard with this shall we? Saying that a statement on ONE Army Reserve Unit slide is equal to the DOD putting that in official materials is like suggesting that because a few priests have molested children, that the Vatican approves of and perpetuates this behavior. 



No comments:

Post a Comment